Monday, April 3, 2017

God doesn't trust you more....

There's a statement I hear often:
At baby blessings, at fast and testimony meetings for the LDS church, and various other places.
"I am just so grateful that God trusted me enough to be [insert baby's name here] mom."
I know it's not out of malice. But you guys... think about it. Think about what you're saying. You are unintentionally saying, "God trusts me to be a mom, but not you." It's hurtful. There's one thing I've come to resent in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It's how much we idolize motherhood.

For the last 4 mother's days I've been forced to sit in a sacrament meeting where they honor mothers with a flower or a chocolate. I've been, what seems to be, singled out. I get it, moms are important. I'm not discounting that. We are meant to build the church with our posterity. However, sometimes, we take it a little too far.

I've listened to General Conference talks where someone says "Motherhood is the most important thing you'll do in this life." "Motherhood is the only thing you've been given time for." ect. The problem is, not everybody gets to be a mom in this life. That is fact. When things like that are said, it tells women who are barren: They aren't as valuable as moms. They couldn't possibly contribute more to the kingdom of God than those who are mothers. Again, I understand it isn't out of ill intentions. But you guys- This is 100% real.

We are creating a culture where it isn't okay to be a childless LDS. We are causing far more problems than we realize. I have gone home from church more times than I can count and cried my eyes out. All because of someone who had good intentions of saying how awesome moms are, but instead hurt people because we believe the only thing we could possibly do in this life is be a mom.

I hear it all the time. I hear it when I'm at the grocery store. I hear it at school. I hear it at work. I hear it at family functions.

I am treated like a second class citizen. I feel like I have nothing in common with my friends because they all have 2 kids. My science teacher flat out said to us, the goal is to get married so we can have kids, because we want our kids to have our genes.

Again, I get it, moms are cool. Motherhood is awesome. But for some of us, we won't get to experience that. We won't get to be moms. We can't afford to be moms.

When I hear things like that, it makes me want to shut down. Sometimes it even makes me want to punch you in the face(not in an mean way, but like in a I mean this in a good way way)

No comments:

Post a Comment